Friday, December 26, 2008

Let's hope this isn't the last post.

Over the past couple years I've gotten very interested in amplifier construction. This includes mic-pres, guitar amps, power amps, etc. I've been teaching myself electrical engineering for a little while now. While I would still place myself in the 'extreme novice hobbiest' category I think I've gotten to a point where I can take on a more serious project.

Here I'm hoping to cronicle the building of this: http://tubedepot.com/diy-tweedchamp.html
I've yet to closely examine the circuit design, but it's a knock off of a Fender '56 Tweed Champ, single ended class A tube amp. It's a relatively simple circuit with few components.

Tube amps involve high voltages. Filter caps can hold deadly voltage levels, and from all of learned so far the way to drain these caps is to connect a bit of wire from the filter cap lead to ground. Sketchy at best. That's my biggest worry at this point.

I've always wanted to blog on some level, so please feel free to follow along and comment and all that. If I'm succesful at building this amp I'm going to try my hand at a few other projects more along the lines of low THD power amps (tube and MOSFET) for like record players and home surround sound systems. After that I want to try and build a tube mic pre-amp. We'll see how it all goes especially since I'm working with limited monetary resources right now.

Pictures and progress soon to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment