Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Everyday I learn there are 10 more things I don't know

I haven't been doing much more than reading and studying lately. The more I look into this project the more I realize I know just enough to kill myself. As an example I found articles about how to drain the filter caps which hold, even at rest, upwards of 320 VDC. Scary.

I did find a website that has a pictorial step by step construction of the 5F1 circuit. It's not a huge help, but seeing the different connections at least gives me an idea of how the whole thing is suppose to come out. Being the visual person that I am it's nice to have a picture to go along with the wiring diagram which, by the way, is the only piece of instruction that came with the amp kit.

Yesterday I wrote the company where I got the kit to ask them, among other things, about how to mount the Fiberboard and Insulation Board (pictures to come later). As it stands I think I have to drill two holes. It would seem to me that if you HAVE to drill these two holes that the boards would come pre-drilled as all the other necessary holes have been drilled on the board.

Other issues include the color coding on the AC power line not matching the schematic (also pictures to come later), and general lack of understand on how to properly ground everything. I still have a lot to learn.

*update* So the folks at home can learn along with me: I found a few handy articles in reference to the AC power wiring problem mentioned above.

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile644.html
http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Kalamazoo/Mods/safe.html
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7418

No comments:

Post a Comment